Apply For Social Sciences Collegiate Division Internships
U of C GRADUATE STUDENTS
Teaching Internships within the Social Sciences Collegiate Division are only available for current graduate students at the University of Chicago. Applications must be submitted by April 30, 2017.
Required Supplemental Materials for U of C Graduate Students
To apply for an internship in the Social Sciences Collegiate Division, submit the online application and attach supplemental materials. All documents, with the exception of the recommendation, must be submitted in a single PDF. Paper applications will not be accepted.
You may apply for no more than three Core and Civ sequence internships total . If you have already interned in one of the Social Sciences Core sequences, you are not eligible to apply for Core internships but can still apply for internships in the Civilization Studies sequences (America in World Civilization, History of European Civilization, and Colonizations, Gender and Sexuality in World Civilizations, Ancient Mediterranean World). You must submit a separate online application for each internship. You may use the same set of supplemental materials for multiple applications, or you may choose to submit a separate set of supplemental materials for each application in order to relate your qualifications to the interests of a particular sequence.
Internship length varies depending on selected sequence:
- SS 11100-11200-11300 Power, Identity and Resistance (2 quarters)
- SS 12100-12200-12300 Self, Culture and Society (Full year)
- SS 13100-13200-13300 Social Science Inquiry (Full year)
- SS 14100-14200-14300 Mind (Full year)
- SS 15100-15200-15300 Classics of Social and Political Thought (Full year)
- HIST 13500-13600-13700 America in World Civilization (1 quarter)
- CRES 24001-24002-24003 Colonizations (1 quarter)
- HIST 13001-13002 History of European Civilization (2 quarters)
- GNSE 15001-15002 Gender and Sexuality in World Civilizations (1 quarter)
- HMRT 11000-12000 Human Rights in World Civilizations I-II (1 quarter)
- HIST 16700-16900 Ancient Mediterranean World (1 quarter)
Interns must be registered PhD students at the University of Chicago during each quarter of employment.
Internship Application Materials:
- Cover letter describing your academic interests and reasons for seeking a position in this course, and note your progress toward degree completion and teaching experience. Your letter will be reviewed by several people, and a general salutation (such as "Dear Selection Committee") is appropriate.
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of recommendation from a member of the faculty who is conversant with your work, emailed by the writer directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. (This letter can also be addressed to the "Selection Committee.")
ALL PARTS OF THE APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED BY APRIL 30, 2017. YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE UNTIL ALL ITEMS ARE RECEIVED.