Apply for Teaching Internships in the Social Sciences Core and Civilization Studies
Only registered University of Chicago PhD students are eligible for these positions. The application deadline for 2021-22 positions is May 15, 2021.
Required Supplemental Materials
To apply for an internship in the Social Sciences Collegiate Division, submit the online application and upload the supplemental materials. All documents, with the exception of the recommendation, must be submitted in a single PDF. You may apply for no more than three Core and Civ sequence internships total. If you have already interned in one of the Social Sciences Core sequences, you are not eligible to apply for Core internships but can still apply for internships in the Civilization Studies sequences (America in World Civilization, History of European Civilization, Colonizations, Gender and Sexuality in World Civilizations, Human Rights in World Civilizations, Ancient Mediterranean World, Jewish Civilization). You must submit a separate online application for each internship. You may use the same set of supplemental materials for multiple applications, or you may choose to submit a separate set of supplemental materials for each application in order to relate your qualifications to the interests of a particular sequence. Internship length varies depending on selected sequence:
- Power, Identity and Resistance (2 quarters)
- Self, Culture and Society (Full year)
- Social Science Inquiry (Full year)
- Mind (2 quarters)
- Classics of Social and Political Thought (Full year)
- Global Society (Full year)
- Democracy: Equality, Liberty, and the Dilemmas of Self-Government (Full year)
- Religion: Cosmos, Conscience, and Community (Full year)
Civilization Studies Sequences
- America in World Civilization (1 to 2 quarters)
- Colonizations (1 quarter)
- History of European Civilization (2 quarters)
- Gender and Sexuality in World Civilizations (1 quarter)
- Human Rights in World Civilizations I-II (1 quarter)
- Ancient Mediterranean World (1 quarter)
- Jewish Civilization (1 quarter)
- Cover letter describing your academic interests and reasons for seeking a position in this course, and note your progress toward degree completion and teaching experience. Your letter will be reviewed by several people, and a general salutation (such as "Dear Selection Committee") is appropriate. If you are interested in applying for a specialized section of Social Science Inquiry, please indicate your interest in your cover letter.
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of recommendation from a member of the faculty who is conversant with your work, emailed by the writer directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. (This letter can also be addressed to the "Selection Committee.")
Interns must be registered PhD students at the University of Chicago during each quarter of the internship.
Internship Application Materials:
ALL PARTS OF THE APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED BY MAY 15, 2021.